Saturday, September 13, 2014

Blown headgasket - closely followed by me almost blowing a gasket

Blew the head gasket on my 2100EFI saloon last week - and this was the reason - a Racetorations supplied (via Chris Witor - not his fault) 200 quid piece of junk!!! Really makes my angry - these retail at 169.95 quid + VAT

 The fire rings are completely randomly swaged onto the gasket material - I don't know whether its the fire ring that is too small or the gasket hole is too big but the result is when the fire ring is compressed it collapses as there is no gasket within.
 I cut the fire ring on one bore where it was crushed and the was virtually no gasket material beneath it - where it was properly made there was about 1.5mm of the gasket crushed in the fire ring sandwich.

 These "Payen" branded gasket used to be good quality but they seem to have nose dived in QA/QC in the last few years - perhaps the Made in UK stamp is now stamped for Daryl in China? It would certainly improve profit margins.

 I have a brand new one but didn't dare use it - I used a secondhand one that has been on my PI and is obviously OK.

Equally annoyingly Wishbone Classics were a good alternate source and cheaper but another run of poor QC ended in me buying 10 gaskets at $90 each which were only good for the bin - and Kai now refuses to answer my calls or email despite admitting that they were a faulty batch - he did sell me some good ones previously. Really angry about this sort of junk






Mileage 26000km since full rebuild - cam and followers mint (6000km)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andy. Not sure where you secured the one I got from you last year when Ken and I rebuilt my targa car engine but I have also done either head or gasket. Not sure which and only just started pulling it down. Will let you know. Have some serious water in the rockers and coolant on no 6 spark plug. Probably also not helped by the thermostat that decided to go back to the uk halfway through the race meeting......

September 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20151211
canada goose
nike huarache
uggs for men
replica watches
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
gucci outlet
adidas uk
canada goose outlet
cheap toms
louis vuitton
ugg outlet
uggs boots for women
supra shoes
louis vuitton handbags
swarovski outlet
the north face uk
ralph lauren outlet
uggs outlet
kobe 9
nike roshe run women
north face outlet
oakley sunglasses
cheap uggs
louis vuitton handbags
air max 95
oakley sunglasses
toms shoes
fitflops
louis vuitton outlet
vans shoes sale
ray ban sunglasses
ugg sale
canada goose jackets
ray ban outlet store
cheap oakley sunglasses
ugg boots outlet
tod's shoes
coach factory outlet
as

December 11, 2015 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home